Bodies – floating and pliable at about ten meters high between the buildings in a noisy city center. Timeless, weightless. We stand still and look up. As a matter of course we breathe with the breathless apparitions. Then they dissolve in the vacuum.
UN-retained, a poetic visual story that brings silence into an overwhelming world, lets us forget time, space and gravity; it slows our heartbeat and plunges us into a universe of sans-souci. The experience that both overwhelms and invites contemplation is only possible through a seamless combination of the everyday familiarity of real bodies and hidden technical ingenuity. A spectacle of calm and modesty. Grand and at the same time intimate.
Filmed underwater – projected into the air
Première: Festival Glow in Eindhoven (NL) November 2018
- A project by: Sandman
- Sabine Molenaar in collaboration with Gertjan Biasino and Jochem Baelus
- Concept & Choreography: Sabine Molenaar
- Technical Concept: Gertjan Biasino
- Composer: Jochem Baelus
- Performers/freedivers: Gunther Polle, Thilbault Dockx, Corentin Dockx, Thierry Dockx, An Meirsman, Sabine Molenaar
- Freediving advice: Thibault Dockx
- Production manager: Filip Timmermans
- Camera: Alexandra Brixy
- Assistant camera: Adrien Lengrand
- Postproduction/ Video mapping: Gertjan Biasino
- Dramaturgical advice: Nienke Rooijakkers
- Production: Sandman
- Executive producers: DansBrabant & Kosmonaut
- Coproduction: DansBrabant, GLOW Eindhoven
- With the support of: Beamsystems, Fonds Podiumkunsten, LITES film studio
- This initiative was made possible by Grensverleggers, scheme to support cultural cooperation between parties in Flanders, the Province North-Brabant, the Province Limburg and the Province Zeeland.
With her company Sandman, Sabine Molenaar creates imaginative performances in which the associative logic of dreams rules. The world she creates is wonderfully unusual, but always recognisable. Sabine develops her performances from a specific state of mind. The body, in...