From Portici with love
For his first production, From Portici with Love, dancer and choreographer Yassin Mrabtifi sets out with three dancers and one musician. Inspired by ‘La Muette de Portici’, an opera by the French composer Daniel-François Esprit Aubert. This artistic spark was political gunpowder, of which the explosion led to the Belgian Revolution in 1830.
For Yassin, this is a historical illustration of the impact compelling art can have on a society. He wonders whether art today can still create such a revolutionary bond between citizens? Does art maintain a central place in our society or is it generally subdued by the establishment?
The loaded content of From Portici with Love translates well into a multifaceted choreography of three talented young dancers. There is room for a powerful dance language symbolising the passionate artist who fights for his ideals set against more spontaneous and light-hearted improvisations as a metaphor for freedom.
A central role was assigned to the versatile musician and soul singer François Vaiana who is not hiding behind his instruments, but who moves confidently between the performers on stage as a full-fledged character
- Choreography: Mrabtifi Yassin
- Dance: Mrabtifi Yassin, Brice Taupin, Natalia Pieczuro
- Lighting design: David Coppe
- Original music: François Viana
- Scenic design: Peter Maescheke
- Costume design: Melanie Duchanoy
- Artistic advice: Wim Vandekeybus
- Coach: Fanny Brouyaux
- Executive production and planning: Kosmonaut Production, Hanne De Valck
- Production: Quetzal asbl
- Co-production: Charleroi Danses – Centre chorégraphique de la Fédération Wallonie-Bruxelles, Centre Culturel Jacques Franck, La Fédération Wallonie-Bruxelles
- With the support of: Ultima Vez, PianoFabriek, La Maison des Cultures et de la Cohésion Sociale Sint-Jans-Molenbeek, Le Grand Studio
About Yassin Mrabtifi
Yassin Mrabtifi has been dancing since the age of thirteen. He is an autodidact who is always in search of his own style. He draws inspiration from pop culture, contemporary dance, film, martial arts, hip-hop and oriental dance. Much like...