Every day, we are exposed to a blast of information and impressions.
But sometimes you just want to put this never-ending flow of stimuli on hold, if only for a little while, so you could catch your breath and feel your own heartbeat again. You shut your eyes and ears. Only to find that the images continue to reappear on the inside of your eyelids while echoes of voices and sounds keep on resonating inside your head.
In ‘Almost Alive’, her third solo, Sabine Molenaar wonders what would happen when you withdraw yourself from the turmoil of the outside world and enter a timeless and boundless inner world.
So she moves further away from reality and towards that dark place, where shelter and true peace of mind await her. Yet chaos and disorientation are also lurking.
Slowly pulsating basses invite you into this shadowy universe. The black colour palette symbolizes both an end and a beginning: an atmosphere where Molenaar and the spectators can once again coincide with themselves.
“Almost alive is a dark, sensory dance trip which takes you by surprise and tickles the imagination.” De Standaard 13.04.2017
“A powerful, epic and breathe-taking performance from a vital and dynamic performer.” The Wee Review 02.02.2018
“Touching like the girl with the star money, and strong like Jeanne d’Arc […]. Sabine Molenaar is a remarkably versatile person, which makes a performance by this dancer-choreographer and photographer quite the experience. ”
Die Stimme 22.05.2018
- Concept, choreography, dance: Sabine Molenaar
- Dramaturgical advice: Lena Meckler
- Scenography, light: Amber Vandenhoeck
- Set: Gertjan Biasino & Amber Vandenhoeck
- Video, animatronics: Gertjan Biasino
- Camera: Gael Maleux
- Music: Jochem Baelus
- Costume: Joke Van de Casteele
- Production: Sandman & Kosmonaut
- Special thanks to: Mike van Alfen & Arjuna Borsetti
- Co-production: Festival Cement, DansBrabant
- With the support of PLAN talentontwikkeling Brabant, TAKT Dommelhof, BUDA, De Warande, ccBe, Théâtre de Vanves
Want to stay connected to Sandman? Have a look at their website. With her company Sandman, Sabine Molenaar creates imaginative performances in which the associative logic of dreams rules. The world she creates is wonderfully unusual, but always recognisable. Sabine...